HIT COUNTER

Friday, January 22, 2010

Jan 21st

I am beginning to understand the impact that this earthquake has had on Haiti and the people. There was another shock today causing the people to run out of the CDTI hospital where our surgeons have been working. The decision was made that the hospital was unsafe and we started evacuating patients. We spoke to the 82nd airborne and got promises to have 12 of the patients at CDTI evacuated to the hospital ships where they would get surgery first thing in the morning. One woman refused surgery and refused to go. They asked me to come and translate for her and when I told her that if she didn’t have surgery on her broken femur she might never walk again, she said, “It’s not the surgery I’m afraid of, I just won’t go back in that building!”

We loaded up 5 patients in our van and a car, wincing ourselves as they screamed in pain, and broke curfew to get them to the state hospital. It took us almost an hour to find someone who would let us unload them, and finally all we could do was put them down on the street, no padding, no stretcher just a thin sheet over the asphalt. One of the men screamed when we put him down, and as I tried to calm him, by telling him that his pain would be treated soon, he screamed, “don’t put me next to that building, put me under that tree where nothing will fall on me!” We rushed back to CDTI hospital to pick up the 7 remaining patients and I notice that there WERE new cracks in the walls which weren’t there yesterday.

Earlier, we drove out to Fontamarra to the LDS chapel to assess the needs there. Noel our healing hands driver was with me. The scenes of destruction and the stench of death were numbing. House after house crumbled or leaning, ready to collapse, one door frame standing unharmed with no house surrounding it. It was hard to believe I was seeing what my eyes were telling me. Noel told me about the quake for him. His daughters ages 18 and 8 were at the market when the quake hit. He ran to the market to find it was not there. Frantic he crawled over the rubble calling his daughters’ names until finally he heard one of them calling “Papa, papa help me!” He crawled as close as he could and spent the next 3 days and nights comforting his children urging them to feel around for something to eat or drink until they were finally rescued on the fourth day. Both were seriously injured but alive. I could see the anguish in his eyes as he described sleeping next to his daughters’ voices. I could only imagine the terror I would feel if I couldn’t get to my own daughters.

Antonio called me this evening and told me that he had an architect go over the guest house and that it wasn’t safe for us to use. So that makes all of our buildings gone. I am saddened not so much for the loss of our compound, but for the fact that in the next few months there will be so many who need rehabilitation services and we won’t be able to provide them. I am glad that Noel’s daughters are alive, and I’m glad that 12 people will have surgery to fix their broken bodies. I have seen strange and terrible things in Haiti this week---things that I hope I never see again.

8 comments:

  1. Jeff, you leave me speechless and heartbroken. I've cried more this week than in my entire life.
    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard of your blog from my friend Sara Beck who has worked with your organization. Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you for your courage and your sacrifice. I was in Haiti several years ago to help with an orphanage and can only imagine the situation today. Thank you again for doing what so many of us wish we could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our prayers are with you. I wish that I had my passport and I would volunteer. It's been a while since I cirulated in an OR but I'm sure I could pick it up quickly. Please know we pray for your safety and the blessings of the Lord for those around you. God Bless!
    Smarston

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been crying so hard I had difficulty reading the words. I imagine myself there and trying to save my own family, it fills me with fear. I love the people of Haiti and wonder how many of the people that touched my life are now not with us????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Randle.

    I stumled on this blog from your HHH website. I have been very glued to any information about Haiti that I can find. I am sorry to hear of all the trouble and the chaos that is going on there. I think it is so amazing all you do to help serve the people of Haiti. I am glad I came across this blog its interesting to read an insiders view of what is going on. Keep posting and we will keep praying that things can go well. Good luck.

    Katie Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading every word. Thank you for sharing your experience. Somehow it makes us feel like we, too, are there in some way through you. Our hearts ache for the people of Haiti and for you who have loved and served them for so many years. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Randle.
    My daughter sent us the link to your blog, she loves the people of Haiti so much. She has served two different times with HHH and I know that those experiences changed her life. You and all those with you will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff,
    Thank you for all that you are doing. I too love Haiti even though I have only been twice. The people there are enduring and strong. We will do anything we can to help build the complex back so that so others can receive the care they deserve and need.
    Julia Smith

    ReplyDelete