HIT COUNTER

Monday, February 22, 2010

A 6 year old sells Valentines for Haiti.

I am probably going back to Haiti the last week in March. I have been told that groups that are leaving have dropped off their supplies at our compound...... makes me feel lonely. One group called and told me that they have 200 orthopedic patients on whom they did surgery and could HHH take over their post op care? I am afraid we will be inundated as the temporary groups leave. Meanwhile there are still over 1 million people homeless in Haiti and the rains are coming. We are working on getting a prosthetic lab set up and on demolishing our remaining buildings and clearing away the rubble before we start to rebuild. We are organizing rehab volunteers to plug them in at whichever facility can make the best use of them. Here, I am concentrating on getting people to not forget the plight of the Haitian people now that they don't dominate the news. I spoke last night and have four more speaking engagements this week. After I spoke, a 6 year old girl presented me with a jar of money for Haiti. She saw the suffering and decided she wanted to help. So she made Valentine's bags and sent out an e-mail to all of her friends and family asking them to buy some. She gave all of her profit to HHH. I was very moved by her gesture. When I get discouraged I will think of her. We are all doing what we can.....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for keeping us informed with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome that you are going to be able to go back again. Even though all the rebuilding is probably a nightmare to deal with its well worth it. I appreciate the example you set of waht you do.


    By the way today my daughter Hailey asked when I was going to see you again since you told her to bring her guitar in if Santa brought it. That girl is too smart haha! We might have to schedule an appointment just so she can show off haha

    ReplyDelete