HIT COUNTER

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Moral Headaches

I have been reading about the church group from Idaho who were arrested for trying to take orphans out of Haiti without the proper paperwork. "How could they do a stupid thing like that?" some may ask. Others might say, "How could they be arrested for trying to save children from such terrible conditions?" Haiti is full of dilemmas like that. The Haitian government is outraged at people trying to take Haitian children, yet they never seemed to be too upset at seeing hundreds of children living abandoned in the streets before the earthquake. This morning on NPR they interviewed a Haitian woman who was glad to let her own children go to a 'blan' even though she would never see them again. Again, "how could anyone ever do that?' we ask.
Haitian parents love their children as much as any parents. I have seen fathers and mothers carry their sick children on foot for miles, and wait for hours in the hot sun for just a chance at getting proper medical care for their child.
I think Haitian parents give up their children because they love them so much. A small chance, even a glimmer of a chance for their children to escape the hunger, squalor, and grinding day to day life of poverty is enough for a loving but hopeless parent to give up her beloved child to a stranger.
The Restavek system works the same way. Poor illiterate parents usually in the countryside will give their children to a distant relative or stranger for the promise of regular food, a place to sleep and an education. I saw many restaveks (Kreyol for "stay with") while in Haiti on my church mission. Whenever we were teaching a family we would ask if their "cousin' who was always dressed in rags and stayed in the kitchen, wanted to hear the lesson. "Pa okipe-l" (don't pay any attention to him) we were told. I never saw one whipped or physically abused. They were just treated as something slightly less than human. It wasn't until I left Haiti that I learned who these unfortunate children were-- restaveks. It is so sad. Slavery still exists in a country that prides itself in being the first country in the new world to throw off the yoke of slavery.
I understand that Haiti wants to protect its children from the flesh trade, and foreigners want to protect Haitian children from poverty. I believe that Haiti and the International community can and must learn to work together to achieve the same goals. I hope the church group from Idaho is released soon and realizes that they need to work within the system, and I hope that the Haitian government makes the system easier for caring, loving people from other countries to adopt Haiti's orphaned children.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I wish it was easier and not such a hard drawn out process to go through an adoptions. If I had the funds and time/patience to deal with it I would want to adopt one of those childrens and give them a better place .I am sure its awful to see what those kids are living in time after time of visiting there. My heart goes out to them and to those who can and are willing to work and fight to adopt them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been watching all of the news of Haiti. It sounds like these people didn't really believe what others told them about taking children without the proper paper work. They are probably be sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, thanks for this very insightful post. I hope you are getting some sleep. I am up early this morning and my guard is down emotionally. I just cried as I watched your video again. The next time I am getting impatient in one of our HH meetings I will watch the video to remember why we are working at Healing Hands.

    ReplyDelete